Seminar of Non-classical Logics
Marta Bílková and Michal Peli
(Dpt of Logic)
The following list of topics includes my lectures. The full course is maintained at Moodle.
- History in the framework of multi-modal logics
- Kripke semantics for the modality K
- Axiomatic systems based on modal logics (K, T, S4, S5)
- Knowledge and truth, positive and negative introspection
- Completeness theorem, canonical model and max-consistent sets of formulas (Lindenbaum lemma)
- Decidability via finite models (+ the role of filtration), problems with accessibility relations
- The meaning of common knowledge in a group of agents ("muddy children" story), everybody knows (group knowledge)
- Kripke semantics for modalities K, E and C
- Axiomatic systems for modalities K, E and C
- Non-canonicity, non-compactness, accessibility realation for C, quasi-canonical model
- Weak completeness theorem via finite canonical model
- Distributed (implicit) knowledge I
- Knowledge as belief (system KD45)
- Predicate epistemic logic
R Fagin, JY Halpern, Y Moses, MY Vardi. Reasoning About Knowledge. MIT Press, 1995.
J-J Meyer, W van der Hoek. Epistemic logic for AI and Computer Science. Cambridge, 1995.
Public announcement logic
- PAL and PALC (properties and axioms)
- Public knowledge
- Preservation under submodels
- Relativised common knowledge
J van Benthem, J van Eijck, B Kooi. Logics of Communication and Change. (web)
H van Ditmarsch, W van der Hoek, B Kooi. Dynamic Epistemic Logic. Springer, 2008.
Logic of questions
- Inferential erotetic logic
- History of erotetic logics
- Questions, direct answers, soundness of questions, safe and risky questions
- Evocation and presuppositions
- Erotetic implication (pure and regular e-implication)
- Comparing questions (giving an answer)
- Reducibility (the role of safe yes-no questions)
- Epistemic logic with questions
 D Harrah. The Logic of Questions. In D Gabbay and F Guenthner, editors, Handbook of Philosophical Logic, volume 8, pages 1-60, Kluwer, 2002.
 A Winiewski. The Posing of Questions: Logical Foundations of Erotetic Inferences. Kluwer, 1995.
 A Winiewski. Questions and Inferences. Logique & Analyse, 173-174-175, pages 5-43, 2001.
Semantics of intuitionistic logic
- Algebraic semantics. Heyting algebras. [1,3,5]
- Kripke semantics. Equivalence of algebraic and Kripke validity. 
- Beth tableaus. Tree-type possible-world semantics based on Beth tableaus. 
- Kripke frames and models. Truth-preserving operations (generation, p-morphism, disjoint union of frames). 
- Origins of intuitionistic semantics. 
 A Chagrov, M Zakharyaschev. Modal Logic. Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1997.
 M Dummett. Elements of Intuitionism. Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1997. Second Edition.
 M Fitting. Intuitionistic Logic, Model Theory and Forcing. North-Holland, 1969.
 V vejdar. Logika: neúplnost, sloitost a nutnost. Academia, Praha, 2002.
 D van Dalen. Intuitionistic Logic. In D Gabbay and F Guenthner, editors, Handbook of Philosophical Logic, volume 3, pages 225-339, D.Reidel, 1986.